Re: What should be the long term behavior of a browser after a user chose allow/deny?

Hi Samuel, please find my comments inline.

Regards,

Michael

On Thu, Jan 23, 2014 at 3:29 AM, Samuel Roldan <sroldan24@gmail.com> wrote:

> I was wondering what is the expected behavior of a browser after a user
> choses, say, "deny" in the geo prompt. For how long should this choice
> persist? Should it be:
>
> + Forever?
> + For one day?
> + For one week?

The specification does not  specify the time period. It is up to the
browser vendors how they acquire user permission. The goal is to strike a
balance between API usefulness and a good user experience. The API is more
useful to developers if the user is asked repeatedly, because at some point
they might give permission. But for users this might become a bad
experience, it could be interpreted as nagging. An additional risk with
repeated exposure is that users become blind to the requests, and just
start ignoring them everywhere, making the API less useful for all
developers.

Looking at different browsers, it seems every device treats this different.
> For instance, the following browsers won't ask for:
>
> + Safari: One day
> + Chrome: Ever again.
>
> My question is due to the fact that I have a website and some users are
> reporting that they do not see the prompt anymore and I'm not sure how to
> make the prompt show again. (Doesn't seem possible from the client side
> logic. One thing Chrome does better is, it provides an icon in the address
> bar where you can reset your geolocation permissions.

In Desktop Safari there's a setting for this. Safari > Preferences >
Privacy > Limit website access to location services:
* Prompt for each website once each day
* Prompt for each website one time only
* Deny without prompting