Re: [POWER] New vs Legacy functionality (Re: "Requirements for Powerful Features" strawman.)

On Tue, Dec 9, 2014 at 11:45 AM, Mike West <mkwst@google.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 9, 2014 at 5:54 PM, Mark Watson <watsonm@netflix.com> wrote:
>>
>> ​I think there should be explicit consideration for the case where a new
>> feature is widely seen as a replacement for an old. perhaps different,
>> feature. Especially where there is a desire to remove the old feature
>> altogether. The existing users of such a legacy feature should be factored
>> into this discussion in just the same way as the existing users of features
>> which match the geo-location example.
>>

> What would you like the spec to say about these kinds of features?

I think the considerations should be similar to those for pre-existing
features (if the objective is to deprecate or restrict the old feature).

> My initial feeling is that there's no relevant difference between a new
> feature introduced because it's independently awesome, and a new feature
> which is introduced in order to replace an old feature.

​The relevant difference is that *if it's an objective to deprecate or
restrict the legacy feature*, then barriers to the adoption of ​the new
feature also slow down deprecation / restriction of the old one. No such
consideration exists for a brand new feature.

If, on the other hand, there is no desire to deprecate or restrict the old
feature, then I agree, there is no relevant difference.

...Mark