Re: Comment on Device Orientation API

Hi all,

my name is Wolfgang Damm and I'm working at Wikitude as Lead Software
Architect. In that role I'm responsible for developing an AR prototype
using the DeviceOrientation API. Let me jump right into the discussion.

Lars, thanks for adjusting the cap.

But, I still think that the specification needs to be reworded. The
pharse "significant change in orientation" is to vague and can be
interpreted in various ways. Even if it is problematic for our
usecase, Opera was still well within the specification.

A few usecase come to my mind (and I think you have thought of a few more
already):
1. Augmented Reality
2. Games
3. Determining Screen orientation (only Up, Down, left, right is of
interest)

With the current specification I believe only usecase 3. is sufficiently
covered. For 1. and 2. it is up to the specific UA implementation if they
are possible.

In my opinion, to cover the different update rate/accuracy needs of
different usecases without draining battery or degrading performance the
optimal way would be to let the web app specify how many updates/what
accuracy it needs. But if this is not an option, there should be a more
concrete wording of when events should be fired. Something in the line of:

The event should be fired with a minimum update rate of around 100 ms or if
a significant change in orientation occurs. The definition of a significant
change in this context is left to the implementation.

By defining the update rate, a game developer knows what to expect when
using this API. It also helps in development that the event firing behavior
is more similar across different UAs.

Best,

Wolfgang

--
Wolfgang Damm
Lead Software Architect

Wikitude GmbH
Ginzkeyplatz 11
5020 Salzburg/Austria
Email: wolfgang.damm@wikitude.com
Phone: +43 662 243310
Mobile: +43 676 840 856 900
Web: http://www.wikitude.com
Twitter: twitter.com/Wikitude
Facebook: facebook.com/wikitude

Make sure to subscribe to our developer
newsletter<http://www.wikitude.com/developer/newsletter> so
you don't miss any update about ARchitect.