Re: Access to wifi-towers

Hi,

On Mon, Jun 6, 2011 at 11:44 AM, Dominique Hazael-Massieux <dom@w3.org> wrote:
> Le lundi 06 juin 2011 à 11:27 +0100, Steve Block a écrit :
>> I think that exposing WiFi data is outside the scope of the spec. The
>> spec intends to be a high-level interface to position information, not
>> a source of low-level sensor data. See
>> http://dev.w3.org/geo/api/spec-source.html#introduction and
>> http://dev.w3.org/geo/api/spec-source.html#scope.
>
> One need that this request illustrates, though, is the option to provide
> non-default location providers, so that a browser could query another
> location provider than the one it comes with.
>
> This would apply for premises where the Wifi localization is not
> publicly available, or where the wifi access points are positioned only
> temporarily (e.g. for a conference).

Providing a mechanism for alternative location providers is not part
of any of our group's deliverables. Also please note that such a
mechanism would also involve standardizing some kind of communication
protocol between the UA and the location provider. We are not
chartered to produce such a specification either.

> This sounds like a use case for the optional item in the group charter:
>        The Working Group may also explore adding alternative interfaces
>        (e.g. markup, REST APIs) to the Geolocation API Level 2 API.

Actually I think this is related to the previous point in the charter:
it is about exposing the geolocation data in other forms than a JS
object. It is not about alternative location providers.

Thanks,
Andrei