Re: Spec update: deviceorientation event should fire when listener is first registered

From: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2011 17:10:45 +0200
To: "Bjoern Hoehrmann" <derhoermi@gmx.net>, public-geolocation <public-geolocation@w3.org>, Wojciech Masłowski <wmaslowski@opera.com>
On Tue, 12 Jul 2011 16:58:46 +0200, Wojciech Masłowski
<wmaslowski@opera.com> wrote:
> Theoretically yes. In practice I don't think this is a problem. Unless
> your application does something like counting how many times the
> orientation event fired this shouldn't really change the way your
> application works. Note that significant change is vague enough so that
> the applications should not make any assumptions about timing at which
> they receive event therefore it is reasonable to assume that receiving
> one additional event should not cause the application to behave any
> different.

Theoretically yes. In practice one implementation (lets say the market
leader) will fire the event when the listener is registered and everyone
will be required to follow. Wishy-washy requirements do not work on the
web. If you want interoperability implementations will have to do the
same, pretty much always.

Aside from that, I do not think this group should change the semantics of
addEventListener(). If you want to change the semantics of
addEventListener(), please bring it up on www-dom@w3.org.

--
Anne van Kesteren
http://annevankesteren.nl/