Re: Clarification on exceptions

On 9/27/10 7:59 AM, Doug Turner wrote:
> It is clearly under-specified.
>
> Do you think that there is an expectation that the exceptions need to
> match for browser interop?

Because current implementations are all throwing an exception, then in
terms of interop, the risks of changing the spec are minimal (look at
this as a clarification). It only gets tricky if the developer wants to
check why the exception was thrown - in which case, yes, there are
(minor) interop issues as demonstrated by my last email.

So, at the very least, the spec should say that an exception is thrown.
The only way to understand that this is what is intended by the spec is
to turn to the test suite: the test suite is acting as the normative
text for the spec - which is bad. If an exception is thrown, then the
type of exception should be specified. Other specs clearly define what
the exception to be thrown should be in given situations (see any of the
"HTML5" related specs).

We have a strict QA system that requires us to specify not only that an
exception is thrown, but also check that the right kind of exception is
thrown. That is the reason I raised this.

Kind regards,
Marcos

--
Marcos Caceres