Re: Agenda+: Use Cases for Orientation

Thanks Doug, for bringing this to people's attention.

Here are a few use cases that some of I and some others have talked
and written about. Some pertain to SVG (provided we can have client-side
access to pixel values) and some don't so I've cc-ed both groups.

1. Placing geolocation and accelerometers (and magnetometers and
gravitometers) into a camera so that when the photographer chooses, he/she
may upload the picture together with camera orientation to assist with
picture sharing and facilitating picture tagging
2. Placing geolocation and accelerometers (and magnetometers and
gravitometers) into a camera so that when the photographer chooses, he/she
may upload the picture together with camera orientation to assist with
"picturing an open world"  -- something like Open Street Map, only 3D.
3. Using a handheld device as a 3D mouse to assist with drawing and
sculpting (2D input devices are a bit kludgy for 3D operations)
4. Using a handheld device as a 3D input device to communicate sign language
(there was a post to svg-developers on this subject about three years ago
that resulted in suggestion #5) like American Sign Language, or other
semantically rich gestural languages.
5. Using a handheld device to map underground mines, steam tunnels, subways,
and disaster sites.
6. InkML [1] (multivariate time series data collected over a time frame) --
if we take the position, velocity and acceleration of a device in each of
three dimensions over time, we have potentially ten dimensions of data that
can be gathered rather rapidly, how best to leverage that data through user
interfaces so as to produce a useable data stream. See earlier discussions
at SVG WG concerning <replicate>.

cheers
David

[1] http://www.w3.org/2002/mmi/ink