Re: Geolocation provide API

On Nov 17, 2010, at 4:35 PM, Thomson, Martin wrote:

> On 2010-11-18 at 11:23:46, Doug Turner wrote:
>> Recall, the basic idea is to allow sites to set
>> up their own location provider so that places like universities,
>> hospitals, can provide wifi positioning inside of their campuses.
>
> That's an admirable goal.

thanks :D

> I'm interested in how you reached the conclusion that Geolocation API changes are part of the solution.  That's not a conclusion that I would have reached.

This WG is the place (ha ha) where web content touches geolocation.

> It helps to examine the reasons that a locally operator provider is useful.  Is it accuracy alone that you care about?  Is it the case that the local provider is better capable of providing more accurate location?

Sure both.

> By the same token, you could use automatically discovered network services (i.e., RFC5985/5986).

Yeah, that is interesting.  I don't know enough about how hard that is to deploy.  If they go to maps.mit.edu, that page could serve up content which sets mit's location service as the default.  If I walk onto campus, i may not want to use their WiFi, and therefore, not have access to their network services... right?

Any case, this conversation is interesting... but out of scope, i think.

Doug