RE: Speed, heading and elevation graphic

Not that this matters a great deal, but how is this applied to common use cases?

Imagine a car that is climbing a steep hill.  Let's say that it's moving at a speed of 10m/s with respect to the ground in a North-East direction on a 30 degree incline (i.e., _very_ steep).

The other way of describing this is using strictly horizontal speed, as Steve suggests: speed[h]=8.66, heading=45, vspeed=5, but is that really how you would describe this motion?

Given that a car speedometer measures ground speed, rather than horizontal speed, that's arguably an easier set of values to report.  The vup/vdown is no easier or harder for a GPS unit to produce; it's just a matter of determining the dot product (and inverse cosine thereof) of different sets of vectors.

To consume, the story might be different.  But certainly, producing a second orientation is easier than a vertical speed.  Arguably, using ground speed is also a better fit with how people think of movement.

--Martin