Re: Gyroscope/DeviceMotion events

From: Steve Block <steveblock@google.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2010 10:38:02 +0100
To: Dean Jackson <dino@apple.com>
Cc: Andrei Popescu <andreip@google.com>, public-geolocation@w3.org
> I suggest extracting gravity out to a separate vector attribute, rather than combining it with
> acceleration. I expect more people would want to know the direction of gravity, so might as well make
> it easy for them to get it. Also, it means that can be clearly null while it is being calculated.
Do you mean add a third acceleration vector for gravity? We can't use
acceleration & gravity in place of acceleration &
accelerationIncludingGravity as some devices are unable to determine
the acceleration without the effects of gravity - that's the
motivation for the property.

> Along these lines, I wonder if DeviceOrientation should have a flag to indicate whether or not it is real
> world accurate. For example, some hardware might be able to accurately return orientation changes
> but not have a compass. This is still extremely useful in games, where they don't necessarily care
> about real-world orientation, but rather the change in orientation.
Good point. Would this use case be solved by the rotation rate data
we've added to DeviceMotionEvent? If not, such a flag sounds
reasonable to me.

Steve

--
Google UK Limited
Registered Office: Belgrave House, 76 Buckingham Palace Road, London SW1W 9TQ