Feature string for Geolocation

From: Marcos Caceres <marcosc@opera.com>
Date: Tue, 03 Aug 2010 07:34:07 +0200
To: public-geolocation <public-geolocation@w3.org>
CC: Robin Berjon <robin@berjon.com>, Hari Kumar G <harig@opera.com>
Hi Geolocation WG,

I'm writing to request a non-normative addition to the Geolocation
specification.

In order to enable geolocation in W3C Widgets, Opera is currently using
a "feature declaration" in the configuration document of a widget.
Essentially, the request to enable a geo-location in a widget looks like:

<widget xmlns="http://www.w3.org/ns/widgets">
   <feature name="http://www.w3.org/TR/geolocation-API/" />
</widget>

In the widgets space, we are starting to see fragmentation wrt the
feature string UA's use to enable geolocation. If the geolocation
specification could give some authoritative guidance, that would likely
resolve the fragmentation issue.

My personal opinion is to use a simple and version-less namespace, like
the ones currently used for XML namespaces:

http://www.w3.org/ns/geolocation-api

Kind regards,
Marcos

--