Re: what's the heading when the device is not moving?

On 09/11/2009 23:21, Andrei Popescu wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 9, 2009 at 12:36 PM, Steve Block<steveblock@google.com>  wrote:
>> I vote for null.
>
> +1. I chatted with Steve and he makes a good point in saying that it
> isn't heading that should be used to detect whether the user is moving
> or is still. It would be more natural for one to test the speed
> attribute, instead. (0  means user is still,>0  means user is moving,
> null means speed is not supported).

True, but returning null prevents the user from testing if your device
supports heading, because in order to do so you would have to check
whether heading is null but only if your device is moving.

There are other solutions (like returning the last recorded heading or
NaN if the device hasn't moved yet), but they're not great either,
probably worse. So I won't object to null, I guess.

Max.