Re: Additional security and privacy considerations?

Hi Perry,

I share your concern and push it a bit further. How would a user know
that she can revoke a permission, if she is not aware that location is
actually shared?

If we do not say anything about notice, it will not happen.

======More details and detailed argumentation below==============

To use a right/possibility one has to be aware of it in the first
place. If you don't know that you can revoke a contract concluded
online in the EU within the first two weeks, you won't even try it.

But awareness is a problem of UI and it is a part of the human right
of privacy (yes, human right and not some smallish nuisance). The
paradigm of data self determination needs first of all knowledge what
is shared. This first step is even part of the weak US model of
"notice & choice".

What I see here is people saying: Yeah, choice is fine, but we won't
give any notice if only option #3 is in the spec. In this case, the
choice is worthless and the goal of privacy is not achieved at all.
And putting some fig leave by requiring a choice (only) that isn't
discoverable at the right moment won't help against that diagnosis.

Let's take cookies for a (not really fitting) example: Surf the web
for one month to all major news sites and social networks. Now you are
asked to revoke all permissions given during your visits to
example.com. Do you remember that this visit also made your browser
store cookies from a.com, b.com and c.com? And look into your
browser's preferences how many cookies you've received. Now review
them all whether you still want to give them permission. You will not
remember and it will take you half a day to go through all those
cookies. With location permissions, it will be the same.

Having an indicator for location sharing and connecting that indicator
to the revocation makes the revocation a real informed choice of the
user that will be context dependent and convenient. This would be a
real privacy feature and would even satisfy EU regulations. Remember,
this is all scoped to _personal data_. So if no natural person is
involved, the requirement is not applicable at all. An implementer
could do anything with the data collected. But _if_ a natural person
is involved, there is normally some sort of UI. (Perhaps less so for
electronic bracelets for home assigned offenders, but the allusion to
bracelets gives you an idea of what we are talking about)

Let me give you another comparison: In most western countries,
secretly recording the voice of somebody is criminal offense. I
predict that if we only give choice without notice, we'll see grave
scandals that will lead to governments issuing laws that will make
secret recording of location data a criminal offense. Because today,
mainly governments and large operators with corporate governance have
access to location data. And they are normally highly regulated. In
the future location information will be potentially available to
everyone. The user must have an adequate means of protection in this
scenario.

So while a specification shouldn't do user interface design, it should
at least clearly and normatively set the goals. This may not be
simple, but it is feasible. The goal is an informed choice by the
user. This requires at least notice and choice at times of data
transfer. Going beyond (revocation) may not be legally required in the
US, but it is in the EU and is actually reasonable and helpful.

Now why some guidance about UI? Today, if you get into a car, you are
near to instantly capable of driving it. Why? Because the important
stuff in the cockpit is placed in well known locations. There is a
recognition/recall value. It is part of me trusting a device that I
find controls where I expect them. Not saying anything will lead to
wildly fragmented user experiences. As we are talking about the
protection of a human right (privacy) it may be worthwhile allowing
the user to feel in known territory while using geolocation services.
Again, the spec can remain general enough to still allow for good
competition (and we should take care that it does)

Best,

Rigo