Re: updated editor's draft of the Geolocation API specification

Hi,

On Tue, Jun 9, 2009 at 12:00 PM, Marcin
Hanclik<Marcin.Hanclik@access-company.com> wrote:
> Hi Andrei,
>
> Thanks for your prompt reply.
>
> This is the generic API versioning topic (a really big one :) ) that you may be aware of from the discussions on webapps ML.

I understand this may quickly become a complex topic. In our case,
however, I don't think it needs to be complex, so both hasFeature()
and "geolocation.version" would fit the bill.

> You may also be aware of the BONDI specs that handle this topic and that were contributed to W3C webapps.
>
> hasFeature() is ok for me as is also the general idea of having clear versioning.

Great.

> Some people may argue, however, whether version should be a number, but this is a minor issue that could be probably be easily agreed on.

Agreed.

> BONDI 1.0 (http://bondi.omtp.org/1.0/) proposes the versioning model as specified here:
> http://bondi.omtp.org/1.0/apis/BONDI_Interface_Patterns_v1.0.html#versioning
> where the versioning is part of the IRI, e.g.
> "http://bondi.omtp.org/api/geolocation.position?v=1.0"
> as specified here:
> http://bondi.omtp.org/1.0/apis/apifeatures.html
> due to security requirements and requestFeature() method as defined in:
> http://bondi.omtp.org/1.0/security/BONDI_Architecture_and_Security_v1.0.pdf Section 4.3.2.

Thanks for the interesting pointers, I wasn't aware of BONDI's versioning model.

All the best,
Andrei