Sending commands to the User Agent

From: Michael Hedenus <hedenus@pixel.de>
Date: Thu, 9 Jul 2009 12:29:06 +0200 (CEST)
To: public-geolocation@w3.org
Dear all,

I find the Geolocation API very interesting, especially for my own project
Regensburg3D (http://www.regensburg3d.de).

The current API description currently contains only "read"-methods, unlike
the examples where some "command"-methods like "showMap" appear.

I propose to specify some methods like:

* long Geolocation.markPosition(in Position position, in String label, in
URI uri) to request the user agent to show a mark or pin at the position
with the specified text, which may be linked to a URI.  The returned value
is a id for the marker which can be deleted with

* Geolocation.deleteMark(long id)

* Geolocation.showPosition(in Position position) to request the user agent
to show the position to the user, e.g. center the map.

The user agent is free to reject the requests e.g. by making a error
call-back.

Dr. Michael Hedenus
Pixel GmbH
Regensburg, Germany