AW: Location URIs?

> Richard Barnes wrote:
> > Now that we've gotten over the FPWD debate, I wanted to
> float the idea
> > of one more small field to add to the API - the ability to
> optionally
> > represent location as a URI:
> > interface <dfn id="geodetic-position">Position</dfn> {
> > readonly attribute DOMString locationURI;
> > };
> > This field would allow a UA to provide location to a
> location recipient
> > in the form of a URI, which the site could then dereference
> (via XHR or
> > by passing it to a back-end system) in order to get the
> UA's location.

Hi,

note that i submitted an internet draft proposing a "geo:" URI a while
ago. I got a little bit of encouragement from implementors, but the
GEOPRIV working group didn't really embrace it.

I'm happy to build upon that if anybody is still interested. The
(expired) draft is at:

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-mayrhofer-geo-uri-01

and

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-mayrhofer-geo-uri-02

One of them (the 01 version) proposed a simple "geo:lat,lon" structure,
while the 02 version proposed a compressed tiled hierarchy, identified
by characters ("geo:OZYB4").

I got feedback that people prefer the simple "geo:lat,lon" structure -
so if there's any interest in that work, i'm happy to change and
re-submit the draft..

Alex