Re: skeleton Geolocation API

On Thu, Jun 26, 2008 at 5:40 PM, Erik Wilde <dret@berkeley.edu> wrote:
> hello.
> i think this is a good example where a more developed set of requirements
> would help a lot. the current proposal is very much focused on the "mobile
> device with GPS and scripting code needs access to the location fix"
> scenario, which of course is a very important use case. but as i said,
> privacy issues are very crucial in this area (just wait until you have any
> europeans looking at the spec, they usually have a much stronger view of
> privacy). i am trying to look at scenarios that (a) go beyond the
> GPS-to-javascript scenario, and (b) could help to address privacy issues.

I am most interested in providing a way for web applications to get
the current location of the user. I get the impression that this is
what the other UA vendors here are interested in as well, but they
should chime in one way or the other.

Having a URI scheme for location is an interesting concept, but it
does not seem like the simplest way to expose this information.  I
also see no privacy benefit to exposing information this way.

Therefore, I suggest pursuing the idea separately. If successful,
there is no reason the two ideas could not be integrated in some
future version of this spec.

- a