Re: Geolocation: Security and Privacy

Le 11 juin 2008 à 14:18, Doug Turner a écrit :
> yeah, I guess I don't see that happening.  I  think we are talking
> about rounding of a bunch of places on the lat-long.  for example,
> everything in 37.4, -122.1 is a large area.  When I move to the next
> box, the system we be able to tell  that I am at the board between
> the two regions.  Is that the worry?

"Round after a while becomes square."

What I mean. Devices move with their owners. Rounding somehow expands
the uncertainty. The more the user moves, the more the most likely
location will be found (except if the uncertainty is far larger than
the distance between all moves).

When I was geolocating my blog, I was choosing the center of the city,
or a well-known historical building, so people will know that I was in
Montréal, but not necessary my own private address.

So more than rounding, it is more the possibility of choosing a
location point for dedicated geographical areas. The GPS says you are
in this lat/long, in this area you decided that the point which
represents your location is… lat/long. of Shinjuku Station, Tokyo.

--
Karl Dubost - W3C
http://www.w3.org/QA/