Re: Geolocation: Security and Privacy

Hi, Alec-

Alec Berntson wrote (on 6/6/08 2:32 PM):

> Least privilege
>     The user should be given the option to allow access to a page (or domain) for
>        Just this once
>        Just this session
>        Always

Along the same lines, we might consider the temporal aspect.  Do we want
an app to be able to track us over a period of time, such as for
driving/walking directions?  I guess that would be covered by session,
most likely... but there might be use cases that a mere session might
not deal with.

>     Data 'fuzzing'
>        User can control how much resolution to give to a page
>        Add noise to the data if more accurate information is available than is requested

A UI might wish to allow a user to set a preference based on
precision... someone might not mind a known (or even unknown)
page/webapp/widget to access their location within, say a few
kilometers... but would want to be alerted if it tried to get a more
precise fix than that.

However, I am reluctant to dictate too much along the lines of UI
features... traditionally, that's been mostly left to the UA to decide.
  It's always a delicate balance between security and annoyance.

Regards-
-Doug Schepers
W3C Team Contact, SVG, CDF, and WebAPI