Charter question on form of API, was Re: DOM based API

Hi all,

While working on the draft charter, I had already given some thought
to this "DOM based API" issue and related issues, and I'd like to get
feedback.

I've written that:

1. We are required to produce an ECMAScript interface

2. This interface may or may not inherit from DOM interfaces

3. We may explore exposing location information via markup or HTTP
headers

Some thoughts and rationale for each:

On #1, I've spoken to some of you, and all have expressed interest in
the interface being ECMAScript, but for some deployed mobile systems
(particularly those that don't have ECMAScript) this is a complete non-
starter.  Thoughts?  This does relate to #3 though, and I'll elaborate
more there.

Before digging into item 2, I want to mention that on the Web there
seems to be a slang-like usage of the term "DOM interface".  As near
as I can tell it is mistakenly used to mean an interface that's
available via a global Object, but isn't necessarily related to the
DOM and it's interfaces.  I'd like to suggest that we be careful in
our use of terms like "DOM interface", and restrict it to mean those
interfaces that are related in some way to the DOM.  (I realize that's
not a very strict definition, but I think it solves the issue).
Otherwise confusion abounds.

I put number 2 in the draft of the charter to indicate that we will at
least discuss the pros and cons, and arrive at a conclusion of DOM
based, not DOM based (or both I suppose...).  From talking with some
of you I wasn't sure we would get any pro-DOM based input, and so
considered dropping it, but given the discussion thus far today, it
seems like it is worthy of exploration.  Exploring it is worthwhile if
for no other reason than to be able to justify our decision one way or
the other.

Regarding number 3, thus far I haven't associated a specific work item
to this 'exploration', so it is flimsy.  I include this based on
feedback from some of you, as well as exploring currently deployed
systems, and other places, such as the IETF geo-header draft [1].  I
suspect that creating anything in these realms would be out of scope,
but I believe it would be useful to explore and synchronize where
possible, and perhaps produce a WG Note explaining the differences.

-Matt

[1] http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-daviel-http-geo-header-05