Re: spec issue tracker

Hi All,

Hi all,

> i have to admit that i have a hard time following the way the spec
> is updated, and i have no clue which issues are still open, and who
> contributed what. would it be possible to set up an issue tracker
> for the spec? not only would it make issues and issue histories
> traceable, it would also take some load off andrei who currently has
> to do all of that manually.

I was hoping to deal with how we work in our first teleconference.  We
should discuss how we'll keep organized, but it looks like we'll do
that in day 2 of our F2F. In the meantime I've been keeping a list of
issues (and associated message URIs) that I'll dump into whatever
system we agree upon.

I don't know what other participants have been doing for tracking
issues, I imagine Andrei and the co-chairs have their own lists of
issues, but it should be a burden participants share.  Given that we
don't have regular teleconferences at the moment, as Andrei said [1],
everything should be captured on-list [2].

> i do know that the w3c uses bugzilla to track some specs' progress,
> for my personal projects i use something simpler (mantis), but
> whatever it is, i think it would make the process of what's going
> on, what has been going on, and what still needs to be done, much
> more transparent. is anybody else interested in something like this?

I'd like to use our Tracker tool for handling WG issues as well as
participant action items.  We've got an instance of Tracker that we're
not currently using, but which I'll dump my current issues list into
prior to the F2F.  It's integrated with our mailing list, and it
becomes simple to tagging a message with an issue number in order to
contribute.

As the document gets more mature we need to be increasingly more
careful about tracking comments, decisions, contributions, etc.

For direct document comments, like those made during Last Call, I
prefer to use our Last Call comment tracker [3], which auto-generates
the Disposition of Comments, creates an annotated view of the
document, etc.

In addition we have instances of other tools, such as a MediaWiki and
a blog, where we can make announcements, post additional materials,
etc.  I'll

-Matt

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-geolocation/2008Nov/0211

[2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-geolocation/