Re: [fxtf-drafts] [css-masking] Disabling masks and clipPaths when display is none (#245)

From: Amelia Bellamy-Royds via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2019 19:35:39 +0000
To: public-fxtf-archive@w3.org
Well, I suppose it could be useful to be able to disable/enable all uses of a mask or clipPath with `display` — but it would need to be implemented consistently for all use cases!

And it makes the logical model much more difficult: what about display being turned off on a parent element? What about references to clip path and mask in external files (currently only supported consistently in Firefox)?

We'd definitely have to retract the [parts of SVG 2 that assign these elements a `display: none !important` rule in the user agent stylesheet](https://svgwg.org/svg2-draft/styling.html#UAStyleSheet) as a way of replacing the prose about never being rendered regardless of `display` value.

Either way, I do think we should continue to distinguish between `mask {display: none}` and `mask > * { display: none}`, where the latter creates a valid mask that is transparent/empty and completely masks everything. (And the same for clipPath.)

Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/fxtf-drafts/issues/245#issuecomment-474068866 using your GitHub account