Re: [fxtf-drafts] [filter-effects] Clarify what happens with failing pre-conditions on feConvolveMatrix

From: Amelia Bellamy-Royds via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 01 Jan 2018 00:24:51 +0000
To: public-fxtf-archive@w3.org
I would expect that an invalid `kernelMatrix` value would be treated equivalently to no `kernelMatrix` attribute at all.

This was effectively how it worked with `<feColorMatrix>`, even if it wasn't not explicitly specified.  The fact that this causes the primitive to becomes a no-op or "pass-through" effect is a consequence of those initial values.  However, `<feConvolveMatrix>` didn't have clearly defined default values to start out with.

I'm certainly happy to define it such that invalid values result in a no-op primitive, but I'd like to be clear that a missing `kernelMatrix` attribute has the same effect as an invalid one.  The edits in https://github.com/w3c/fxtf-drafts/commit/581a079952d5103750cdf3612a8d8dbbc0fd4221 seem to me to be working around the issue without clearly defining an initial value for `kernelMatrix`.

Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/fxtf-drafts/issues/237#issuecomment-354629971 using your GitHub account