Re: [fxtf-drafts] Luminance masking is slower than alpha masking

From: Ana Tudor via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2017 19:23:09 +0000
To: public-fxtf-archive@w3.org
I have found the `alpha` mode (the only one supported by WebKit browsers at this point) to be a real PITA when using CSS gradients for masking. With luminance masks, you can have gradient layers one on top of the other in order to get more complex mask shapes that way. With alpha masks you cannot do that. You need to split your whole somewhat more complex mask shape into tiles, size and position your tiles with `mask-size` and `mask-position`, only to find that you end up with thin gaps in between your tiles due to rounding errors.

Yes, I can of course tweak the `mask-size`, make all tiles `1px` larger, but that just feels dirty.

Yes, of course, I can switch to an all SVG solution, have luminance masks by default, but the whole idea was to avoid all that markup.

--
GitHub Notification of comment by thebabydino
Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/fxtf-drafts/issues/137#issuecomment-308221472 using your GitHub account