Re: [css-transforms] CSS3D breaks with opacity flattening

On 19/09/16 8:40 PM, Rik Cabanier wrote:

> What you're proposing will also change how content is rendered. :-\

So do the other options. It seems like this is the closest to the
'ideal' rendering we can get.

> Why is that not a showstopper? Your proposal seems very difficult to
> implement since it pushes matrix manipulation all the way down to the
> individual elements.
> It also introduces more rendering surfaces.
> You're also relying on how firefox is representing the render tree
> which might be completely different from other UA's
>
> Browsers already have a hard time giving a consistent experience with
> the simple model and this will make it even more complicated.

That is true, it's definitely complex to implement. I don't think it
needs more rendering surfaces in gecko at least though.

The example I gave was based on the conceptual idea of preserve-3d, not
gecko's render tree, it definitely won't be simple for us either.

I think the consistency problems were mainly due to the spec being under
defined, rather than just difficult to implement.

It seems to me that it might be worth dealing with this implementation
pain in order to get opacity working more naturally.

- Matt