Re: [css-transforms] CSS3D breaks with opacity flattening

On Wed, Sep 14, 2016 at 8:44 PM, /#!/JoePea <trusktr@gmail.com> wrote:

> Here's an example using Famous Engine (http://github.com/famous/engine):
>
> First, with opacity at the default value of 1.0, the "Famous Code" logo
> moves back and forth and rotates:
> http://jsfiddle.net/trusktr/spauv8fs/5
>
> With opacity reduced, it breaks in Chrome 53:
> http://jsfiddle.net/trusktr/spauv8fs/6
>
> Famous Engine has the ability to mix WebGL with DOM, and this includes
> opacity. This new behavior causes the DOM elements not to move in 3D space
> the WebGL meshes.
>
> First, here's a demo, with opacity at 1.0:
> http://jsfiddle.net/trusktr/spauv8fs/7
>
> The, with opacity at 0.7:
> http://jsfiddle.net/trusktr/spauv8fs/8
>
> What you are supposed to see is a DOM element and a WebGL Mesh that both
> seem to intersect with the pink DOM-based background (the implementation is
> not perfect yet...). In the second fiddle (spauv8fs/8) the "Famous Code"
> logo appears not to move any more while the WebGL mesh continues to move.
>
> There is a bug in the WebGL renderer which I believe may be due to changes
> in WebGL, but the WebGL part of those examples is supposed to be
> transparent as well.
>
> I myself am working on a new implementation of DOM + WebGL, and it allows
> application of opacity. This change in Chrome 53 completely breaks how that
> is supposed to work. I don't have an online demo yet...
>
> I would say let's definitely consider undoing the changes to the spec so
> that flattening does not happen when applying an opacity to 3D DOM
> elements. The reasoning is not just to prevent breaking apps, but because
> the new behavior simply doesn't make sense as far as 3D goes.

I don't understand how you come to that conclusion.
The new behavior seems more logical since it applies the opacity to element
that has the property applied. The old implementation distributed the value
to its children which is counter to any other CSS value.
Are you proposing that we also do this for filters, blending, backdrop
blurring and other effects, or is opacity special in some way,

As Simon stated, if you want the old behavior, just add a selector to your
opacity parameter so it's applied to the children.