Re: [css-transforms] CSS3D breaks with opacity flattening

On Wed, Sep 14, 2016 at 5:24 PM, Simon Fraser <simon.fraser@apple.com>
wrote:

> On Sep 14, 2016, at 5:09 PM, /#!/JoePea <trusktr@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > But are they doing correct group opacity?
>
> The behavior in Chrome 52, Firefox, and Safari 9 is correct, yes. The
> implementation and wording isn't as important as the results, and the
> result in Chrome 53 is not correct.
>
> Actually, Chrome 52 and Safari behavior aren't doing correct group
> opacity. Testcase at <http://smfr.org/css/transforms/opacity-preserve-
> 3d.html>. You should not see the darkening where the layers overlap.
>
> Chrome 53 fixes this, but as you say, this can break web content. It's
> possible that we'll have to revert this spec change due to web compat
> issues.

Chrome had a use counter for content that was going to be affected:
https://www.chromestatus.com/metrics/feature/popularity#OpacityWithPreserve3DQuirk
0.0058% of web pages is affected by this change.

I thought Safari also changed this behavior. Didn't webkit used to
distribute parent opacity to its children?