Re: [css-animations][web-animations] steps() timing function sometimes unintuitive

On Tue, Mar 8, 2016 at 3:29 PM, L. David Baron <dbaron@dbaron.org> wrote:
> Another possibility, working from the idea that steps(N, start/end)
> is pretty broken and this is generally the desired way to do
> multiple steps (i.e., not step-start and step-end which are a single
> step) is that this function with equal steps could simply be:
>   steps(N)
> with no second argument at all.

That has backwards-compatibility concerns - currently, if you omit the
keyword it defaults to "end".

Hmm. If we did do this, it'd mean we'd slightly reinterpret the N
value - rather than indicating the number of segments, it would be the
number of *discrete jumps*.  They'd default to being equally spaced
across the duration, and you can provide a keyword to optionally
indicate that the first/last jump should instead occur at the
start/end of the duration.  (The start/end values aren't *terrible*,
they're just not what people actually want in common cases.)

If we think the back-compat isn't bad, tho, I do like this the best.
We'd then get to add a "step" keyword, too, which is a shorthand for
"steps(1)", and gives the default "non-animatable value" behavior.

~TJ