Re: [web-animations] Web Animations minutes, 12 Mar 2014

On Mar 12, 2014, at 10:18 AM, Brian Birtles <bbirtles@mozilla.com> wrote:

> Background research: http://jsfiddle.net/6SudQ/1/
> Is it ok to drop events? Firefox, Chrome, Safari: Do (for CSS Animations), IE: Doesn't
> Developing for mobile is harder if events are dropped. On the other hand, forced dispatch of events is bad for mobile too.
>
> CSS Event usage stats from Chrome:
>  Start 0.06% http://www.chromestatus.com/metrics/feature/timeline/popularity/131 (600 ppm)
>  Iteration 0.002% http://www.chromestatus.com/metrics/feature/timeline/popularity/134 (20 ppm)
>  End 0.37% http://www.chromestatus.com/metrics/feature/timeline/popularity/128 (3700 ppm)

Well, the comment above says that Chrome and Safari do drop events but then there are user stats of interface calls? I think certain evens like start and end (firing in time to run JS code for the next frame) can be very useful. Others might not.

Maybe this should also be discussed with the wider CSS/SVG group? The discussion wouldn’t/shouldn’t block a new WD though.

Greetings,