Re: [geometry] order of arrays

On Jun 12, 2014, at 7:15 AM, Rik Cabanier <cabanier@gmail.com> wrote:

> All,
>
> the current spec says that arrays are in [1] column-major order, but it seems that WebGL is in row-major order (ie [2]).
> Can people confirm this? If so, maybe we should update the spec to match.

The spec aims to match CSS Transforms which is column-major order[1]. CSS Transforms is also the reason why the indices on the matrix elements seem to be the wrong way around… at least compared to mathematical conventions.

It is indeed the question what will be used more. Maybe we can add an enumeration enum DOMMatrixOrder { ‘column’, ‘row’ } as argument for constructor, getters and setters? What would be the default, still ‘column'?

Greetings,
Dirk

[1] http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css-transforms/#funcdef-matrix3d