Re: [filter-effects] filters on canvas (was: Re: Proposal: feHSL element (was Re: [filter-effects] hue-rotate() and saturate() filters))

On 19 Oct 2013, at 5:55 am, Dirk Schulze <dschulze@adobe.com> wrote:

>> razy idea: wouldn’t it be cool if the spec had inline JS that
>> manipulated a <canvas> element via ImageBuffer? The spec could also be
>> the reference implementation.)
>
> We had discussions about a new property for CanvasContext .filter(). Which takes a CSS filter string. Every drawing step would be filtered individually. Just like shadow.
>
> Another idea was to have a property that takes and ImageData as input, filters it and returns an ImageData object.
>
> I think the first idea is more powerful and better implementable in HW.
>
> I am not sure if any of these ideas should go to Filter Effects or to Canvas directly referencing Filter Effects.

I wasn’t being clear. I wasn’t proposing a new feature: I meant the spec could actually do the filter math inline (slowly) on a reference image.

Of course it would rely on the rendering of the canvas element to be color correct, but you could still do getImageData to examine the exact values.

Anyway, I wasn't being serious.

Dean