Re: [filter-effects] hue-rotate() and saturate() filters

On 15/10/2013 7:23 AM, Chris Lilley wrote:
> Hello Rik,
>

> Incidentally these polar forms were what inspired Tektronix et al to
> come up with HSL, HSV and similar polar forms of RGB. Unlike the
> measurement-based CIE forms, however, HSL and HSV are not perceptually
> uniform and have some odd behaviour - primary blue (#00F) and secondary
> yellow (#FF0) have the same lightness in HSL and the same value in
> HSV.

Why do you say they are not perceptually uniform and have some odd
behaviour? From my understanding, both primary blue (#00F) and secondary
yellow (#FF0) are complementary to each other [1] but in gray-scale,
secondary yellow is much lighter than primary blue [2] since it appears
much higher in a sRBG cube (X,Y,Z axes) and more so if we consider that
the sRBG cube has an orientation that is tilted on each axes (X,Y,Z)
when considering overall gray-scale of lightness from white to black
[3]. There is nothing odd about colour in this respect.

1. http://css-class.com/articles/color/index.htm#yellow-blue
2. http://css-class.com/test/css/colors/hsl-in-sRGB-color-space.htm
3. http://css-class.com/test/css/colors/color-cube-grayscale.htm

--