Re: comments on Matrix

On Mar 21, 2013, at 11:52 AM, "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 21, 2013 at 11:47 AM, Rik Cabanier <cabanier@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> This is a clear example of SVG making a (bad) mistake that we should not
>>> inflict on the rest of the web platform.
>>
>> Are you objecting to any exceptions being thrown?
>> There are exceptions in all authors facing APIs.
>
> No, he objects for the same reason I am - a matrix being singular is
> not a particularly exceptional situation

A singular matrix does not mean the same as NaN and Inf values in the matrix.

However, you need to take a look when you use inverse() for transformation matrices (again, that is the focus here). They are used to transform between coordinate spaces. And then a returning singular matrix does not make sense.

Dirk