Re: Filter Effects and High DPI

On Mon, Mar 18, 2013 at 7:02 AM, Stephen White <senorblanco@chromium.org>wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 17, 2013 at 10:01 PM, Rik Cabanier <cabanier@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> On Fri, Mar 15, 2013 at 12:54 PM, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>wrote:

>>>  we
>>> single
>>> blurring
>>>  (Last
>>>
>>> This is a bug in our implementation, then.  The values in the
>>> functions are CSS values, so a length of "5px" means 5 CSS pixels, not
>>> 5 hardware pixels.  The browser has to scale that to whatever internal
>>> notion of "pixel" it's using.

>>> result.
>>> but that
>>> this

>>> it's not
>>> the
>>> unscaled

>>> though.
>>> allowed
>>>
>>> I'm not sufficiently familiar with feConvolveMatrix to know how to
>>> handle it well.  However, if you get a substantially different result
>>> (beyond rendering/scaling artifacts), the implementation is definitely
>>> wrong in some way.  None of SVG or CSS should require knowledge of the
>>> device's DPI.
>>>

>> From the Filter Effects spec [1]:
>>
>> Because they operate on pixels, matrix convolutions are inherently
>> resolution-dependent. To make ‘feConvolveMatrix’ produce
>> resolution-independent results, an explicit value should be provided for
>> either the ‘filterRes’ attribute on the ‘filter’element and/or attribute
>> ‘kernelUnitLength’.
>>
>> So, this is a case where the device's DPI is allowed to make a
>> difference. 'FilterRes' [2] should be used if you want device independent
>> output.
>> It seems that for feConvolveMatrix, 'FilterRes' should have been
>> required. (It's weird that 'FilterRes' is not a resolution but a number of
>> device pixels)
>>

> Thanks!  I didn't catch that.
>
> So it seems the author's options are:
>
> 1)  Set filterRes, and have the image downsampled before all filtering
> (lo-DPI results)
> 2)  Set kernelUnitLength, and have the image downsampled before
> convolution only (lo-DPI results).
> 3)  Check window.devicePixelRatio, and provide a kernel sized
> appropriately to the DPI (hi-DPI results).
>
> Does that sound right?

I * think* option 2 will work for both high and low DPIsince it allows you
to specify percentages or css pixel values [1]:

By specifying value(s) for ‘kernelUnitLength’, the kernel becomes defined
in a scalable, abstract coordinate system. If ‘kernelUnitLength’ is not
specified, the default value is one pixel in the offscreen bitmap, which is
a pixel-based coordinate system, and thus potentially not scalable.

It seems that this should work OK for line art but might cause issues for
high dpi images.

Option 3 could use '@media resolution' [2] and switch to a filter for that
particular pixel ratio.

1: