Re: Utility of background-composite and background-blend-mode?

On Thu, Jan 31, 2013 at 1:41 PM, Robert O'Callahan <robert@ocallahan.org>wrote:

> What is the difference between background-blend-mode:<MODE> and
> mix-blend-mode: background <MODE>?

'background-blend-mode' specifies how the background images blend with each
other. Conceptually, the background blend and composite with each other and
the resulting bitmap is then used as the element's background.
'mix-blend-mode: background <MODE>' allows you to specify the blend mode on
that background image.

> What are the use-cases for 'background-composite'? It seems like a very
> specialized feature whose effect can be achieved pretty easily by just
> using more elements or (in some cases) pseudo-elements.

I agree it's pretty specialized. We've seen people use it to make small
animations. ie https://github.com/simurai/lab/tree/gh-pages/icons
It's fairly simple to implement so I added it to the spec.