Re: [css-masking] could there be less copying of text from css3-background?

Hi David,

On Jan 16, 2013, at 8:39 AM, L. David Baron <dbaron@dbaron.org> wrote:

> A lot of the properties in
> https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/FXTF/raw-file/tip/masking/index.html are
> modeled off of the background and border-image properties in
> css3-background.  But there's a lot of prose that's been copied (I
> think from css3-background, though maybe from a different level).
>
> It seems like it would be best, for things that are intended to "be
> the same", to normatively reference css3-background, because:
> * it will make it clear when things are the same and when they're
>   not,
> * it will keep the drafts in sync if css3-background changes, and
> * it will avoid unintentional differences between the specs.
>
> I recognize that it's probably not possible always, but it really
> seems better for, say,
> https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/FXTF/raw-file/tip/masking/index.html#the-mask-repeat

> to reference background-repeat (with prose that describes how it
> applies to a mask image instead of a background image) than to
> redefine the values in detail, presumably exactly the same way.

In general you are right. A lot of properties use similar descriptions as CSS Backgrounds and Borders. Even if a lot of properties are similar, they are not equal and in the context of CSS Masking mean something slightly different. Other longhands differ a lot more from CSS Backgrounds and Borders and therefore the shorthand does as well. It seems confusing to reference CSS Backgrounds and note that it is different because of the specifies of Masking. I understand your concerns with the alignment to CSS Backgrounds and Borders in the future, but I don't want to require someone to read two specifications to understand one. It should be one place IMO.

Greetings,
Dirk