Re: [css-masking] 'mask: none' clear all masking operations

Hi,

I had a chance to discuss this topic with fantasai during the CSS F2F. fantasai suggested that the 'mask-*' properties get a new shorthand property (maybe 'mask-layer'?). 'mask' itself would reset the 'mask-layer' and 'mask-box-image' properties and would itself have a reasonable setting.

Based on this idea, a syntax proposal could look like this:

'mask' = none | <url> [alpha | luminance]?

- 'none' is the initial value in current implementations
- If 'mask' is set all mask properties (including 'mask-box-image-*' and 'mask-*') are reset to the initial value.
- '<url>' can just be used to reference <mask> elements, as it is defined SVG 1.1 and implemented in all browsers.
- 'mask' will not be a shorthand

The old 'mask' shorthand will be renamed to 'mask-layer' and all 'mask-*' longhands to 'mask-layer-*' (or a better name if there is one).
- 'mask-layer-image's '<url>' will just support CSS Images, no references to <mask> elements possible.

No changes to 'mask-box-image*' necessary.

The new proposal would avoid the problem of different fetching algorithms depending on the resource type that is referenced.

Any comments or suggestions?

Greetings,
Dirk