Re: [filter-effects] drop-shadow inset shadow

On Wed, Apr 17, 2013 at 10:52 AM, Dean Jackson <dino@apple.com> wrote:

> On 17/04/2013, at 5:20 PM, Michael Mullany <michael@sencha.com> wrote:
>
>  I've tested SVG filters on some mobile platforms. From my testing, basic
>>> filters (5ish primitives, no high order convolutions) are decently fast for
>>> the most part. Android is the poor performer (as usual). Animations are
>>> even possible. Here are my eyeball and unscientific estimates (it might be
>>> good to develop some benchmark filters.)
>>>
>>> Mobile:
>>> - iPad 2 is slow (0.4s lags) but iPad 4 is pretty good (100ms +/- lag)
>>> - Blackberry10/PlaybookOS2 is fine (similar to iPad4)
>>> - Surface WinRT - SVG Filters are fast - about 100ms +/- delay for the
>>> filters in Microsoft's test drive
>>> - Chrome Mobile on Samsung Galaxy Note 2 (running 4.1) - very slow (if I
>>> can get them to appear at all.) <animate> on turbulence looks like it's
>>> about 15fps.
>>>

>> It looks like we're far off from getting 60fps :-(
>> Did you try the shorthand filters in Safari? Those should be very fast
>> and an indication what we can achieve by accelerating SVG filters.
>>

> Short hand filters are real-time responsive yes. But IE 10 already shows
> what's possible with HW accelerated SVG filters. I put together this filter
> as a demo (excuse the frankenstein javascript):
>
> http://www.codepen.io/mullany/pen/yvmgL
>
> This chains together a weighted greyscale (colormatrix), an unsharp mask
> (blur + composite), and a (probably inefficient) selective blur (spotlight,
> 2blurs, colormatrix, 2 composites). Adjusting the sliders for greyscale
> weights allows you to see the lag. Adjustments are *real-time* responsive
> on a recent WIn8/IE10 laptop, a little laggy but usable on 1 yr old
> Mac/Safari6, and take about half a second to respond on Chrome (Mac)
> (Firefox is slower). On iPhone 6 - adjustments take about a second to
> execute.
>

> Once everyone implements HW acceleration for filters, we'll be able to see
> some pretty darn fast stuff.
>

> I'm not sure what topic we're discussing any more :) You started talking
> about mobile platforms and then compared them to IE 10 with a desktop GPU.

Apologies, I should have stayed apples to apples. Comparing tablets: on the
Surface RT, this filter can keep up with roughly 10 adjustments per second.
On the iPad gen 4, this filter can handle about 1 adjustment every 1 to 2
seconds. (I have a Surface Pro somewhere in the office as well but I can't
put my hands on it this moment.)