Re: Perlin and simplex noise

I'm not adding much to the conversation, but I'd like to say that I generally agree with Tab on this topic. In particular:

- Adding noise to an image should be shorthand-level easy (not requiring markup, or even linking to a shader)

- We should add another algorithm for noise that can be easily implemented on hardware (this could be a new FE element, or an enhancement to feTurbulence)

- There should be a way to generate a noisy image directly in CSS (a while back we discussed generators like checkerboard or lens-flare (yuck!))

On that last topic, most of the noisy images I see on the Web are not one dimensional in colour - that is they are a blend between two (or maybe more) colours. This means such an <image> generator would either have to take a couple of parameters, or would require some extra blending syntax before it could replace the many wasteful PNG images that are clogging our pages.

Dean