Re: Perlin and simplex noise

On Thu, 30 Aug 2012 18:51:32 +0200, David Dailey
<ddailey@zoominternet.net> wrote:

> I know you all found the concepts of declarative randomness a bit
> distasteful (we're giving a talk on it at the conference in Switzerland,
> soon) and given the history of society's reaction to randomness, one can
> perhaps understand if not appreciate that reaction.
>

> However, I wondered if thought has been given to Simplex noise in
> addition
> to Perlin noise[1]?

Some thought has gone into that[2], but there's no concrete proposal for
it yet. It's listed as issue 15 in the filter draft [3].

I would like to see a more hardware friendly noise algorithm in the spec,
e.g simplex noise (or something with the same characteristics), but if we
want existing content to look the same we can't just switch the algorithm
in feTurbulence since the algorithm in the spec and the simplex algorithm
generate slightly different results. But, it may well be that the
differences are small enough that it would be acceptable, anyhow I think
that needs to be investigated.

What do other people think? The computational cost of the noise algorithm
in SVG 1.1 is fairly high, and that does limit what you can use it for in
practice. If we chose to go for a new noise algorithm I would also like to
be able to animate the noise continously (I think this means we'd need the
3d version of the algorithm). That is, I'd like to simulate say fire or
smoke, and link the z dimension in the noise algorithm to the time
dimension so that the animation is continous (without strange gaps and
without it looking like the result is scrolled along either or both of the
x and y-axis).

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simplex_noise
[2] http://www.w3.org/2009/02/05-svg-minutes.html#item01
[3]