Re: Mask property syntax and CSS <image>

On Aug 5, 2012, at 9:44 PM, Rik Cabanier <cabanier@gmail.com> wrote:

> Isn't the new mask used as follows:
> <rect id ="r_1...>
> <rect mask="element(#r_1)">
> or as CSS (?):
> <rect id ="r_1...>
> <rect style = "mask: element(#r_1);">

That is what I wanted to say. It is a misunderstanding on your side.

First, it doesn't matter if you use mask="" or style="mask: ". The only difference is on the order of overriding.

The actual use case is the following:

<rect mask="select(<2ndMask>)">
 <mask>
  <rect fill="white"/>
 </mask>
 <mask>
  <circle fill="white"/>
 </mask>
</rect>

select() selects one of the possible child elements that are of type mask and which you want to use for masking. And before you ask why not referencing by URI: The idea was to avoid getElementById calls.

You point to another use case, which is valid as well, and shouldn't be hard to support.

Greetings,
Dirk