Re: [Filter Effects][css3-transforms] Using MathML for formulas

Sent from my iPhone

On May 18, 2012, at 10:43 PM, "Peter Krautzberger" <pkrautzb@umich.edu<mailto:pkrautzb@umich.edu>> wrote:

Hello,

As part of MathJax, I would like to address Dirk's concerns. Short version: MathJax will only increase accessibility, not decrease it.

First off, accessibility is important to us and MathJax is designed with accesibility in mind (cf. http://www.mathjax.org/resources/articles-and-presentations/accessible-pages-with-mathjax/). We have dedicated features in this respect and in our experience screen readers have no problem with pages using MathJax. I should add, however, that we are not aware of screen readers that can read MathML without help from MathPlayer -- we'd be very interested to hear about such a project!
I am glade that accesibility is a priority. As far as I know, screen readers just access the DOM. Therefore if the content is not in the DOm, it can not be read by screen readers. I think you are right that there is no screen reader supporting MathML. Not necessarily a reason not thinking about the potential usage. Back to DOM. At the moment the code is not visible in the DOM, right? How can it be accessible then? I wonder if a alternate description could be helpful here with something like an alt attribute? Note that display: none in as style doesn't work either, since most screen reader ignore these tags. It would be great to here some input from screen reader implementers.

Regarding Dirk's concerns: MathJax does not remove the original MathML.when using MathJax's "HTML-CSS" output mechanism -- instead the MathML is heavily styled so that the browser displays it correctly. It is somewhat true that MathJax's SVG output mechanism removes the mathml from the DOM -- but it is added to the page in a script-tag after each SVG (and remains available internally for MathJax). In any case, we would not suggest SVG output as a default setting for the specs since it does not work with IE 8 and below.

That would also mean not to embed SVG in general. Not even for images. I think it is a mess to suggest authors to use SVG but we can't do it because a previous version of IE doesn't support SvG.

I would tentatively suggest to configure MathJax in such a way that "NativeMML" is used whenever possible (e.g. IE with mathplayer, Firefox if your code works there etc) and use "HTML-CSS" elsewhere; you can take a look at our documentation for specifying this http://www.mathjax.org/docs/2.0/options/MMLorHTML.html.

Yes, it should use native Implementations as much as possible.

Let me know if you need more information,
Peter Krautzberger.
Thanks for your feedback

Dirk