Re: [compositing?] Blurring an element’s backdrop

1. Absolutely not. Most authors don't even want to learn SVG, do you
seriously expect them to learn a new C-based shader language?!

2. This depends on the background-blend-mode proposal, which is still
under discussion and consensus is not even close. I like the idea of
adding this to blend-mode, but I'm afraid your proposed syntax is quite
unintuitive. I, for one, have no idea how it's supposed to work and I
have actually read the current proposal.
I think we shouldn't be concerned with layers at the moment (such as
background). Even if the effect operates on the entire element's
backdrop, it would still be a big improvement over current methods.
After all, that's what's needed in most cases.

Lea Verou (http://lea.verou.me | @LeaVerou)