Re: Some practical issues integrating the SVG transform attribute with CSS transform properties

On Wed, Mar 30, 2011 at 3:20 PM, Cameron McCormack <cam@mcc.id.au> wrote:
> Patrick Dengler:
>> Is everyone on board for using the promotion of SVG Attributes to
>> properties as opposed to using the attr() notation? And, have we
>> landed on using -svg-r notation?
>
> I don’t know if everyone is on board yet, but so far it seems to have
> had the least pushback.  Tab mailed the CSS WG; I wonder if they have
> discussed it in the group yet.

There hasn't been a ton of discussion on the CSS list, but then I've
been on vacation for a week and haven't had a chance to poke at it.

In any case, it seems like the promotion of attributes to properties
is vaguely okay.

> The -svg-r notation I’m not fond of.  It’s not pleasing to the eye,
> and if any of these properties are to be extended to apply to non-SVG
> elements in the future, the name will be a hindrance.

The CSSWG, insofar as we support this effort, is against doing the
"svg-foo" thing.  We'd prefer custom names, like what Cameron has put
forth.

>> point people to CSSOM, or whatever way there is in CSS to get the
>> (animated or not) transform value as a higher level object (CSSMatrix
>> or equivalent, not DOMString).
>>
>> What we have been considering here is that if it is set with the
>> SVGAttribute, it is is stored in the SVG OM; if it is set with CSS it
>> is stored in the CSS OM.
>
> So that’s agreeing with 2 and choosing 3a from Rob’s initial mail?

I don't understand the implications of this, but I don't have an
opinion on it either.

~TJ