Re: Filter Templates

On Fri, Feb 25, 2011 at 1:56 PM, Rik Cabanier <cabanier@gmail.com> wrote:

> I asked the PixelBender people and they claim that as long as each filter
> can be accelerated on the current hardware, the whole graph will be
> supported. If not, you could switch to software rendering.
> It is true that not everything can be supported on every device. The nice
> thing about PB is that it has a software renderer to fall back on which is
> not something that WebGL or feGL offers.

There are software implementations of GLSL. Open-source ones, even.

However, user-agents might choose not to support feGLSL when they lack
hardware support. The performance difference between GPU and CPU
implementations can often be large enough that you're better off not doing
the effect at all if it can't run on the GPU.

I think it would make sense to support feGLSL wherever the UA supports
WebGL.

Rob