Re: Filter Templates

On Fri, Feb 25, 2011 at 12:06 PM, Rik Cabanier <cabanier@gmail.com> wrote:

> Is it possible to implement hardware acceleration for SVG filters? I'm not
> an expert on the subject but it seems that some of the filters would be very
> hard to write as a shaders.

Which filters?

Anyway, it doesn't really make sense to go off and define an all-new
standard because we think some SVG filters might not be acceleratable on
some hardware. As Dean pointed out, that will be true for any adequately
powerful filter API. We'll simply have to fall back to a software
implementation or refuse to apply the filter.

But if there are particular aspects of SVG filters that make them difficult
to accelerate, let's talk about that. I certainly agree they could use some
improvement :-).

Rob