Re: Updated filters specification

Deprecating (or dropping) 'enable-background' would essentially mean that
BackgroundImage and BackgroundAlpha would always generate a transparent
black result in the context of filters (I presume this is what the
browsers that don't support enable-background already do, and it follows
the error handling that is defined for when there was no
"enable-background:new" parent element). Typically that means that things
still render without errors but probably not as intended by the author.

I think that we'd still need to keep some wording there to say what
'enable-background' is/was for the BackgroundImage/BackgroundAlpha cases,
but I'd prefer to keep it short and to link to SVG 1.1 for the full
definition. How does that sound?

/Erik

On Tue, 26 Apr 2011 02:50:11 +0200, Dean Jackson <dino@apple.com> wrote:

> What does this mean for existing content that uses 'enable-background'?
> I doubt there is much of it, but still, there are a couple of existing
> recommendations that define it. Typically things get deprecated before
> being removed.
>
> Dean
>
> On 22/04/2011, at 1:59 PM, Rik Cabanier wrote:
>
>> I guess this means that section 7 can be completely removed.
>>
>> Rik
>>
>> On Wed, Apr 20, 2011 at 9:21 PM, Robert O'Callahan
>> <robert@ocallahan.org> wrote:
>> On Thu, Apr 21, 2011 at 12:54 AM, Dirk Schulze <vbs85@gmx.de> wrote:
>>
>> Am 20.04.2011 um 09:41 schrieb Erik Dahlstrom:
>>
>> > As much as I like having backwards compatibility with SVG 1.1 this is
>> one of the things I'm happy to drop from the spec. The reason for that
>> is that few implementations support enable-background anyway, and
>> there's very little content that depends on it. And as you said, it's
>> possible to find workarounds. For example one can use feImage to pull
>> in some subtree as the filter input image.
>> >
>> > Any objections to dropping 'enable-background' from the filters spec?
>>
>> I definitely support dropping 'enable-background' from Filter!
>>
>> Me too!
>>
>> Rob
>> --
>> "Now the Bereans were of more noble character than the Thessalonians,
>> for they received the message with great eagerness and examined the
>> Scriptures every day to see if what Paul said was true." [Acts 17:11]

Co-Chair, W3C SVG Working Group