"International" email addresses

From: Steven Pemberton <Steven.Pemberton@cwi.nl>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2014 11:00:10 +0100
To: "www-international@w3.org" <www-international@w3.org>
Cc: "Forms WG" <public-forms@w3.org>
Dear i18n people,

XForms 1.1 has a regexp that is intended to help people inputting an email
address by warning them if it is syntactically incorrect.
http://www.w3.org/TR/xforms/#dt-email

We want to update it, and in particular include "international" email
addresses. (Can't we replace "internationalization" with
"deparochialization"?)

The XForms regexp is based on RFC 2822 "Internet Message Format",
http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2822.txt, the latest version of which
http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5322, still only defines ascii addresses.

"Internationalized Email Headers" http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6532
updates rfc5322, apparently by adding all non-ascii UTF8 characters to the
set allowed to be used in an email "atom"
(http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6532#section-3.2,
http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5322#section-3.2.3)

So as far as I can see, an internationalised email address is:

  address: atom-list "@" atom-list.
  atom-list: atom ( "." atom )*
  atom: C+
  C: any character in the world EXCEPT (),.:;<>@[\]

a) Do you agree?
b) It was really hard to find this out. The internet is rife with people
asking and getting bad answers. Please help the internet by being
definitive.

Thanks.

Best wishes,

Steven Pemberton