From:   Erik Bruchez <erik@bruchez.org>
To:     public-forms@w3.org
Date:   02/05/2012 09:39 AM
Subject:        Re: Binding to text nodes
Sent by:        ebruchez@gmail.com

All,

As per our discussion today, I have added this note to the wiki spec:

http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/Forms/wiki/XForms_2.0#Implementation_Requirements_Common_to_All_Form_Controls

(I wanted the "Note" text to be aligned under the bullet list, but I
am not sure there is a way to do that and the text of the note appears
a bit more indented.)

This completes ACTION-1900 - Add the note from the email to the
ui-processing section in the XForms 2.0 wiki spec.

-Erik

On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 9:14 AM, Erik Bruchez <erik@bruchez.org> wrote:
> [...]
>
> Assuming I am correct above, I think that is fine, and I don't propose
> changing that behavior.
>
> During today's call I suggested adding a short note to help
> implementors like us. [1] So what about adding this clarification, in
> the bullet point starting with "All form controls that read
> simpleContent instance data must do so as follows:":
>
> "Note:
>
> The simpleContent binding restriction is intended to allow controls to
> bind to attribute and element nodes. This specification does not
> prevent binding controls directly to text nodes, however doing so can
> yield undesirable behavior, such as controls becoming non-relevant as
> soon as the user enters data. This specification also does not prevent
> implementors supporting binding controls directly to comment or
> processing instruction nodes, however the resulting behavior is
> implementation-dependent and may also yield undesirable behavior."
>
> Any thoughts on this?
>
> -Erik
>
> [1] ACTION-1898 - Write spec note clarifying bind to text nodes
>
> On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 2:57 PM, John Boyer <boyerj@ca.ibm.com> wrote:
>> Hi Erik,
>>
>> Not sure how well minuted it is, but this has been discussed somewhere
in
>> the yawning cavern of the WG history.
>>
>> The net of the discussion is that there was not a lot of reason to do
any
>> further fine-tuning of the spec for this issue.
>>
>> The xpath data model (XDM), which is normatively referenced, doesn't
allow
>> empty text nodes, so it is already clear to the implementer, who is the
>> primary audience of the spec.  Moreover, a form author has to go out of
>> their way to write an xpath that gives them the less desirable behavior
of a
>> disappearing input control. To expand your foobar example just a bit,
>> supposing you had:
>>
>> <xf:instance>
>>     <person>
>>          <name>Erik</name>
>>     </person>
>> </xf:instance>
>>
>> Then the typical form author would be much more inclined to write
>>
>> <xf:input ref="name"> ...
>>
>> rather than
>>
>> <xf:input ref="name/text()">...
>>
>> particularly when the form author quickly discovers that the latter has
some
>> undesirable side effects, including the one around empty strings, that
are
>> so easily remedied by using the former.
>>
>> FWIW, the discussion was a bit more involved, covering the conclusion
that
>> XForms is an XML data collection application, not really a general XML
>> editing application, so there are indeed a few issues that affect the
latter
>> but aren't really worth calling out.  For example, not only can an
XPath