From:   Erik Bruchez <erik@bruchez.org>
To:     Forms WG <public-forms@w3.org>
Date:   23/04/2012 11:27 AM
Subject:        Re: submission/@encoding
Sent by:        ebruchez@gmail.com

http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/Forms/wiki/XForms_2.0#The_submission_Element_2
> it says:
>
>        encoding
>        Author-optional attribute specifying an encoding for
serialization.
> The default is "UTF-8".
>
> Does this mean that we only require UTF-8 and the rest are MAYs? Should
we
> not say more here?

XML 1.0 says the following [1]:

"All XML processors must accept the UTF-8 and UTF-16 encodings of Unicode"

So when dealing with XML, UTF-8 and UTF-16 are required. When dealing
with other text content, I don't know.

Either way, I am not sure if we need to say more.

-Erik

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml/#charsets